When I last posted about the veggie garden, it was looking rather pitiful. I gave everything a sprinkle of fertilizer and hoped for the best.
It hasn’t gotten any better. The peas died and nothing else had gotten any bigger. I decided that there was nothing to do but try to rescue the plants that I could.
Poor pitiful plants! When I bought these they came in fiber pots that were supposed to degrade quickly in the ground. I pulled up the tomatoes and found that they hadn’t degraded much if at all.
I think we all know why these plants are languishing. Next step — pull out all of the potted transplants and remove the “degradable” pots.
I didn’t get a good picture, but all of the plants were seriously pot bound. What a surprise……
I haven’t been completely happy with the soil that I used to fill the bed so I get some that has a much finer texture to mix in.
I spread it everywhere but over the beans (the only thing that is growing) and mixed it in. As I was doing this I realized that I should have started earlier in the day — it was already over 80 when I started at 11 AM.
I replanted the seeds for the beets and chard and added in more green beans where the peas had been. Where the lettuce has been I sprinkled on some thyme and parsley seeds. Next I put the plants back in and I’m hoping for the best!
All photographs are my own. Please be kind — ask permission before using them.